When hitting the market of the jointer, you must have come across a prestigious brand called Powermatic. And many outstanding Powermatic products make woodworkers confused to find out which tool is superior. Notably, the most famous confrontation should be Powermatic 54a vs 54hh.
If you get somewhat confused about choosing one of the two, let’s refer to our in-depth comparison for better understanding. Wait no more! Check it out!
Differences between Powermatic 54A Vs 54HH
Powermatic undoubtedly takes the lead of manufacturing woodworking machinery. That’s why both 54a vs 54hh jointers come to the market with high quality. Actually, they share a lot of things in common.
For example, they have the same dimensions, precision-ground cast-iron table, motor, the dust collection chute, as well as the precisely ground fence. As a result, if you expect a jointer with superb performance, you will end up being satisfied with both options.
However, what is the differences between them? To give the exact answer for you, we will discuss in terms of price and utilities.
Price is supposed to be the deciding factor for every customer, especially those on a tight budget. Unfortunately, there is a slightly big gap between these two jointers.
To be more specific, their price range varies from $1200 to $1600, and the more expensive tool is the Powermatic 54hh, which is $400 pricier than its opponent. However, do not decide quickly if you have not considered other features below. Keep scrolling down!
As for their weights, they have made an insignificant difference. In detail, the 54a jointer weighs 332 pounds, 4 pounds heavier than the 54hh one. However, as we have emphasized, you might feel the same while moving them around.
The most noticeable dissimilarity must lie in the cutter head. The Powermatic 1791279DXK 54A comes with the conventional cutter head with 3 blades to deliver smooth cuts.
Whereas its opponent is on another level, featuring a true helical one along with the 4-sided carbide inserts, which are placed in spiral-shaped rows. Furthermore, this Powermatic 54hh unit can yield a right shear cut thanks to a 4-inch radius ground into the inserts as well as an approaching angle of 14-degree to the wood.
As a result, the 54hh version has contributed significantly to a smoother, quieter operation and the more delicate finish compared to the other with conventional designs.
Quick Rundown Of Powermatic 54A
- AUTO-ALIGNING KNIVES: Cutterhead features three high-speed steel knives that automatically align themselves.
- PRECISION CUTS: Fine/quick adjustment lever on infeed table.
- 38" TWO-WAY TILTING FENCE: With positive stops, this fence provides quick positioning for 90° or bevel cuts.
- STURDY BASE: Enlarged sheet metal stand.
- BUILT-IN SAFETY: Push button switch is lockable to prevent accidental starting.
- Heavy-duty construction
- Effortless to assemble, operate, and clean up
- Generates smooth cuts
- Large table size
- Heavy and bulky design
- A conventional cutter head only
Quick Rundown Of Powermatic 54HH
- 40 FOUR-SIDED CARBIDE INSERTS: Provides smoother, quieter cutting and finer finish than conventional systems.
- 66" ADJUSTABLE INFEED AND OUTFEED TABLE: More working surface.
- FINE/QUICK ADJUSTMENT LEVER: For precision cuts.
- 38" TWO-WAY TILTING FENCE WITH POSITIVE STOPS: Quick positioning for 90° or bevel cuts.
- LOCKABLE PUSH BUTTON SWITCH: Prevents accidental starting.
- The excellent spiral cutter head
- Exceptionally silent machine
- Supports large workpieces without difficulty
- Superior construction quality
- Relatively easy to use
- A little bit pricey
- Quite heavy to transport
You can rest assured that both Powermatic 54a vs 54hh all live up to your expectation of a good jointer with high-end performance.
If you intend to save money by purchasing a relatively good jointer for your workshop, the Powermatic 54A jointer with quick-set knives will be an optimal choice. On the contrary, you can refer to the Powermatic 54hh with a helical cutter head when you need the more superior tool.
And we do expect that our review is of great assistance so that you can find out the answer to the more suitable tool depending on your needs.
Popular Alternatives Worth Considering: