The 10 Best Benchtop Planers For The Money [Review Of 2020]
What is the best Benchtop Wood Planers For DIY?
So here is my list of top 10 best rated benchtop planers 2020
- 1. DEWALT DW735X 13-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- 2. DEWALT DW734 12-1/2-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- 3. DEWALT DW735 13-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- 4. WEN 6550T 12-1/2 Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- 5. Makita 2012NB Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
- 6. WEN 6552T Benchtop Corded Thickness Planer
- 7. PORTER-CABLE PC305TP Benchtop Thickness Plane
- 8. Delta Power Tools 22-555 Benchtop Thickness Planer
- 9. Jet JJP-8BT 8-Inch Jointer/Planer Combo
- 10. Powermatic 15HH benchtop planer with helical head
1. DEWALT DW735X 13-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- Your purchase includes One Stationary 13" Planer, in/out feed tables, extra blades and dust hose...
- Planer dimensions: 24” L x 22” W x 18” H. Depth capacity: 6-Inch. Max depth cut: 1/8-Inch....
- Specifications: Made for 110V, not convertible to 220V. Includes automatic carriage lock that...
- Two-speed gearbox allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Compatible with DW735 13", DW735X 13"
DEWALT DW735X 13-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer has a powerful 15 AMP, 20,000 RPM motor (10,000 RPM cutterhead speed) that handles larger cuts in wider materials with ease.
With a 19-3/4″ cast aluminum base it is 2X more rigid than a standard 10″ base and folding tables.
The automatic carriage lock reduces the movement that causes snipe without the need for manual engagement by the user. It also has a material removal gauge and extra-large thickness scale that deliver accurate cuts with every pass.
- Replaceable three-knife cutter heads
- Brings clean and accurate cuts
- Multiple speeds
- Comes with an extra set of 13-inch knives
- Has extra infeed and outfeed tables
- Manages dust, debris, and wood well
- Easy to set up
- Heavier than its previous version
- Relatively expensive
- The high cost of the replacement of knives
2. DEWALT DW734 12-1/2-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- Three-knife cutter head with 10,000 rpm cutter-head speed provides 96 cuts per inch, one of the...
- Disposable, reversible knives deliver 30% more knife life and make knife change fast and easy.
- Four-column carriage lock drastically reduces the movement that causes snipe
- Extra-long infeed and outfeed tables provide 33-1/2" of material support.
- Powerful 15 amp, 20,000 rpm motor handles larger, deeper cuts in hardwoods.
The DEWALT DW734 12-1/2-Inch Thickness Planer features a three-knife cutterhead and a powerful, 15 amp motor that delivers 10,000 rpm. Also offering quick, accurate depth adjustment, extra-long feed tables for material support, and the convenience of knives that are reversible and disposable, this planer makes it easy to create clean custom stock.
- Extensive base support of over 30 inches from the infeed and outfeed tables
- Powerful 15 Amp motor that offers butter-smooth cuts
- Three disposable and reversible blades that are hassle-free to replace
- Fan-assisted chip injection for better dust collecting ability
- Makes relatively loud noise when operating
- Flimsy dust collection chute
3. DEWALT DW735 13-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- Powerful 15-AMP, 20,000 RPM motor (10,000 RPM cutterhead speed) handles larger cuts in wider...
- Three knife cutter-head delivers 30-percent longer knife life and makes knife change faster and...
- Two speed gear box allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Fan-assisted chip ejection vacuums chips off of the cutter-head and exhausts them out of the machine
Benchtop planers are a long-term investment that allows you to save money over time by buying rough stock and dimensioning it yourself. They also make creating custom materials easier, which, in turn, makes getting great results easier.
The DW735 13-Inch Planer’s powerful 15 amp motor can handle deep cuts in tough hardwoods. Its three-knife cutterhead and two-speed gearbox deliver 96 or 179 cuts per inch (cpi). Use 96 cpi when dimensioning material and 179 cpi for a finer finish.
This sturdy planer weighs 80 pounds. It offers a maximum cut depth of 1/8 inch, a depth capacity of 6 inches, and width capacity of 12-1/2 inches.
- Alternative two-speed gearbox for variable customized cuttings
- Reversible 3 knife-designed cutter head
- Powerful 15 Amp motor that provides a maximum speed of 20,000 rpm
- Blade changing can be done at ease
- Fan-assisted chip ejection enhances optimal dust collecting ability
- Struggles at soothing and leveling hardwood
- Severe snipe length found on the inwards edge is too much to ignore
4. WEN 6550T 12-1/2 Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- Granite table provides a sturdy non-marring surface for wood to smoothly travel over
- Plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 12.5 inches wide
- 15A motor generates 17,000 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
- Adjust depth to plane off anywhere from 0 to 3/32 of an inch with each pass
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from workpiece
WEN 12.5-inch Benchtop Thickness Planer with Granite Table repurposes rough and worn wood to give it an exceptionally smooth finish. The powerful 15-amp motor combined with our two-blade cutting system provides over 17,000 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate.
Plane boards up to 12.5 inches wide and 6 inches thick with ease. The smooth granite table never warps and provides precise support to wood passing through the machine.
- Affordable price
- Has the maximum stability thanks to the combination of cast iron and granite
- Long-lasting granite table
- Poor dust hose connection port
5. Makita 2012NB Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
- Compact with less weight for easy transporting to the jobsite
- Engineered for faster, easier blade changes
- Low noise (83dB) for operator comfort
- 4-post design and diagonal cross supports for stability
- Large table extensions to support the workpiece
The Makita 12-Inch Portable Planer delivers portability and productivity with a compact design, quieter operation, and faster, easier blade changes.
Makita 2012NB features a 15 AMP motor with a no-load speed of 8,500 RPM and the quietest (83 dB) operation in its class.
The 2012NB has a feed rate of 28 feet-per-minute, with an easily-adjusted cutting depth setting for precision planning (maximum thickness: 6-3/32 inches).
- One of the quietest planers of its class
- The cutting depth is hassle-free to adjust, giving more precise planning
- Provides smooth leveling without damaging the lumber
- Can hardly find any snipe on the wood surface thanks to the shorter distance between the rollers and the knifes
- Comes with a large table extension
- Short time warranty
- The table extension cannot be folded
6. WEN 6552T Benchtop Corded Thickness Planer
- Onboard material removal gauge informs users about the cutting depth of each pass
- Plane boards up to 6 in. T and 13 in. W
- 15 Amp motor generates 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 ft. per minute feed rate
- 3-blade design makes easy work out of even the hardest of woods
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from workpiece
WEN 6552T 13-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer repurposes rough and worn wood to give it an exceptionally smooth finish.
The powerful 15 Amp motor provides over 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 ft. per minute feed rate.
The handy depth adjustment knob varies each pass to take off anywhere from 0 in. to 3/32 in. of an inch.
- Reasonable cost
- Three-knife cutter head
- Quick blade speed
- Fine-tune depth adjustment
- An effective dust collection system
- Easy to hold and move around
- The short lifetime of metal table
7. PORTER-CABLE PC305TP Benchtop Thickness Plane
- 8,000 RPM cutter head speed powers 16,000 cuts per minute with a fast 26.2 Ft/Min self-feeding rate
- Powerful 120V single phase 15 amp motor for superior stock removal
- Two knife, quick change, solid steel cutter, head mounted on ball bearings, assures smooth operation...
- High carbon steel, double edged, reversible knives for twice the cutting life
- Patented cutter elevation on four precision ground columns for superior cut stability
The PORTER-CABLE PC305TP 12″ thickness planer has a powerful 15 amp motor allowing for superior stock removal as its 8, 000 RPM Cutter head speed provides 16, 000 cuts per minute.
The two-knife, quick-change, solid steel Cutter head assures smooth operation and long life. Ideal for dimensioning lumber to the desired thickness, and even planes glued-up materials.
- Light, at 62 lbs.
- Weaker motor and few cuts per minute
- Snipe can be significant
- Not suitable for professional use
8. Delta Power Tools 22-555 Benchtop Thickness Planer
No products found.
Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 In Portable Thickness Planer, you will be able to experience a powerful 15A motor that is capable of handling the most demanding jobs. The four-column design of this tool provides excellent stability for smooth, accurate planning.
- Provide maximum versatility
- Durable and sturdy knife
- Easy movement
- Large planer-support surface
- Three-knife cutter head and two-speed gearbox
- Powerful motor power
- Best for tough materials
- Loud noise
- Produce a lot of chips
- High-priced machine
9. Jet JJP-8BT 8-Inch Jointer/Planer Combo
- Combination bench top jointer & planer provides a 2 in 1 machine to maximize work space; Oversized,...
- Integrated cord wrap makes transporting easy and ensures workshop safety; Large aluminum extruded...
- Compact bench top design fits conveniently in small shop environments; Sheet metal out feed table...
- Heavy duty 13 amp motor for various cutting applications; Planning and joining tables lock
- Two high speed steel knives for smooth cuts; Precision machined table top ensures a smooth, straight...
The JJP-8BT’s space-saving design doesn’t skimp on efficiency. In fact, because it combines a benchtop jointer and a planer in one unit, you get a two-in-one machine to maximize the workspace. For added peace of mind, the planing and jointing tables lock to ensure precision.
Powered by a heavy-duty 13 Amp motor that produces 18,000 cuts per minute, the JJP-8BT offers consistent, robust performance job after job. It also features a feed speed of 19.5 feet per minute, so you can complete more cuts in less time.
Versatile enough to handle a range of material sizes, the JJP-8BT includes a sheet metal outfeed table with height adjustment that supports even long workpieces. Its clever design also reduces snipe for consistent results. And two high-speed, durable steel knives help ensure precise, smooth cuts.
While you work, the strong aluminum extruded fence can be angled up to 45 degrees, making jointing more stable and accurate. Additionally, the planer includes a scale and pointer that indicate the distance between the planer table and the cutter head. Finally, an integrated cord wrap makes for easy portability and prevents accidents or errors caused by dangling plugs and wires.
10. Powermatic 15HH benchtop planer with helical head
- The helical cutterhead on this planer provides smoother cutting and a finer finish than conventional...
- Powerful 3HP TEFC motor controlled by magnetic switch for safety.
- Three V-belts transfer maximum power to the cutterhead.
- Serrated steel infeed roller and smooth steel outfeed roller allow for 1/8-Inch maximum depth of cut...
- Large cast iron handwheel positions table quickly and easily.
Powermatic 15HH 15-Inch benchtop planer with helical header is ideal for precision wood dimensioning. Accurate and dependable, this planer’s powerful motor, smooth feeds, precise depth-of-cut adjustments, robust construction, and integrated dust hood set a new standard in wood planing.
The 15HH owes its robust performance to a three-horsepower (continuous duty rating), single-phase, 230-volt TEFC (totally enclosed fan-cooled) motor. This motor is mounted in the planer’s base cabinet, and it is operated by a true magnetic switch located on the head assembly. For trouble-free maintenance, the motor features an easily removable, full-length belt cover.
The 15-HH’s tables are made of cast iron with smooth, precision-ground surfaces for durability and easy feeds. Measuring 15 inches wide by 20 inches long, the main table provides ample space for larger projects. A pair of cast-iron extension tables (15.75-inches wide by 14 inches long), means you can expand the table to 48 inches in length.
A large cast-iron handwheel positions the table quickly and easily, and four posts give you optimum stability. And built around a fully enclosed welded steel base cabinet, the 15HH features machined iron casters that ensure durability and maneuverability–a foot-operated brake lets you lock the casters into place.
To help protect components and improve visibility, an all-metal dust hood diverts debris from the cutterhead. The hood terminates with a four-inch diameter port that is conveniently angled to the side, so the dust collector hose does not interfere with the existing stock.