Delta 46-460 Vs Jet 1221vs are two popular wood planers coming from the reputable brand – Delta. These two machines have the same essential functions. However, the differences in the details between the two are also quite significant. If you need a brief analytical perspective to discern these distinct differences, check out our article.
Difference between Delta 46-460 and Jet 1221VS
Delta 46-460 is an excellent product in the market of wood lathes. It is almost a mini version weighing only 106 lbs and having a very compact size (36 x 11 x 17-3 / 4 inches).
These features make it easy to move from one facility to another and take up a lot less space than comparable performance machines. Thus, the 46-460 unit is suitable for many projects and factories with an industrial scale.
In contrast, the Jet 1221vs proved weaker when weighed the heaviest of all the machines on the market, up to 137 lbs. Besides, its size is also much bulkier (32.8 x 14.6 x 21.2 inches).
So clearly, in this part, Delta 46-460 won the absolute.
Delta 46-460 motors have 1HP, and the speed reaches up to 1725 rpm. Rotation capacity is 12.5 inches, and above all else, the 46-460 is in a class of its own thanks to the fact that it has the largest swing capacity.
Meanwhile, Jet JWL-1221VS goes with a variable speed option. The machine’s revolving speed can only reach a maximum of 360 rpm – a much weaker figure than the Delta 46-460’s excellent engine block.
This engine block will probably only be suitable for small work intensity.
Thus, in this comparison, Delta 46-460 once again prevails over Jet JWL-1221VS.
The manufacturer has equipped the Delta 46-460 with a midi power switch model, which is very simple to change the speed. In particular, you can quickly achieve a smooth coating without having to adjust the machine’s direction manually.
Besides, its most prominent feature is the exclusive belt tensioning system. Users can also quickly adjust the speed of rotation without directly interfering with the belt position.
The JWL-1221VS jet also had a similarly improved belt tension system, but its speed control was average. Also, the designers equipped it with an innovative ratchet-type belt tensioning system. This helps the user to have good command over complicated roads.
The number of built-in indexing positions is also up to 24, making it possible to handle large logs in a multi-dimensional way.
Its speed control is also considered standard for having a dense spring system to lock the spindle. Controls and DRO are also positioned very conveniently for both right- and left-handed people.
So in this comparison, Delta 46-460 seems to be superior to Jet JWL-1221VS.
Quick Rundown Of Delta 46-460
- Powerful 1 hp max, 1,725 rpm motor
- Large 12-1/2-inch swing capacity provides the largest capacity in its class. Drive spindle: 1 inch -8 RH TPI thread
- Electronic variable Speed with three-pulley speed ranges provide the required speeds needed to turn a project without changing belt position
- Forward and Reversing function allows the turner to achieve a superior finish. Sanding a turned piece with the grain causes the wood fibers to lay down and remain rough.
- Patented belt tensioning system for easy and quick speed changes and sets the belt at the correct tension every time for maximum power transfer and longer tool life
- Excellent engine quality
- Compact and great
- A large-width Wood scraping
- Easy to change the rotation speed
- Slow to replace spare parts
Quick Rundown Of JET JWL-1221VS
- VERSATILITY: 24 integrated indexing positions.
- CONVENIENCE: Easy-to-reach controls and DRO.
- OPTIMAL SPEED: Choose from 60 to 3,600 RPM.
- INNOVATION: Ratchet-style belt tension system (patent pending).
- ON-BOARD STORAGE: Two handy tool caddies.
- Can switch to digital mode
- Moderate capacity
- Good anti-vibration
- Smooth acceleration
- No goggles
- Speed-sensitive controls
We believe that Delta 46-460 is the more optimal choice because of its convenience, compactness, and outstanding engine. However, the choice of product depends on your work conditions and preferences. If you want a suitable model for serving an industrial scale, the Delta 46-460 is a perfect choice. But if you want a personal machine with little travel, the Jet 1221vs might be your ideal sidekick.