Nova Comet II Vs Delta 46-460 are two favored and very popular large-sized wood lathes on the market. Both of these machines have the same essential functions. However, they still differ in many small details. If you need a brief breakdown of the differences between these 2 products, let’s have a look at our today’s article.
Difference between Nova Comet 2 and Delta 46-460
It can be said that Delta 46-460 is a superior product in the wood lathe market. It is almost a mini version weighing only 106 lbs and measuring a very compact (36 x 11 x 17-3 / 4 inches).
This makes it easy to move from place to place and takes up less space than comparable performance machines. So it is suitable for many projects, factories with an industrial scale.
However, Comet 2 is more impressive in terms of design, with an overall size of only 8.9 x 17.8 x 32.9 inches and an optimal weight of 82 pounds.
Obviously, in this comparison, Comet 2 has the upper hand over Delta 46-460.
Delta 46-460 motor has 1HP, and the speed can be adjusted up to 1725 rpm. Rotation is 12.5 inches, and above all else, the 46-460 is a class of its own thanks to the fact that it has the most considerable swivel of its course.
Meanwhile, Comet 2 offers some of the best features you’ll want in a wood lathe. Its rotation speed is also staggering – up to 4000 rpm. It works on a 3/4-hp variable speed motor. Therefore, technical wood ingots get a too high degree of finish when used with this machine. Furthermore, this machine supports a technical reader, which helps you easily control the spindle rotation speed.
So in this section, each machine has its advantages, and neither of them wins.
The Delta Industrial 46-640 features a multi-groove belt tensioning system, which makes it easy to move large wooden surfaces on its bed. You can also fix the spindle with an index pin, which is extremely useful in finishing high-difficulty products.
On the other hand, Comet 2 has a massive and sturdy set of pulleys that can hold just about any object on it. Also, it’s pretty easy to control, and the digital interface is pretty friendly. The manual is also so detailed that it is easy for beginners to use.
In the end, there is no absolute winner in this part. Each machine is suitable for a particular characteristic and different working conditions.
Quick Rundown Of Delta 46-460
- Powerful 1 hp max, 1,725 rpm motor
- Large 12-1/2-inch swing capacity provides the largest capacity in its class. Drive spindle: 1 inch...
- Electronic variable Speed with three-pulley speed ranges provide the required speeds needed to turn...
- Forward and Reversing function allows the turner to achieve a superior finish. Sanding a turned...
- Patented belt tensioning system for easy and quick speed changes and sets the belt at the correct...
- Excellent engine quality
- Compact and great
- A large-width Wood scraping
- Easy to change the rotation speed
- Slow to replace spare parts
Quick Rundown Of Nova Comet 2
- Speed range from 250 to 4000rpm - best in the market
- 12" swing over bed and 16.5" between centers
- 3 Step Pulley Systemto dial in low, medium and high speed ranges
- 3/4HP Electronic Variable Speed Motor - Improved
- Sturdy and durable
- A wide range of speed options.
- Includes accessories for the midi lathe.
- Easy to use and assemble.
- Requires a high voltage input.
- A need to use the pair of being a cover-up
Between Nova Comet 2 Vs Delta 46-460, we believe that Nova Comet 2 is the most optimal choice because of its convenience, compactness, and outstanding engine.
However, the choice of product depends on your work conditions. If you want a machine that can be applied at an industrial scale, the Nova Comet 2 is a perfect choice. But if you want a personal device with minimal travel but can be used to finish the most difficult products, Delta 46-460 might be your ideal accessory.