Dewalt DCD996B vs DCD996P2 vs DCD997B vs DCD985B. Which one is really worth the hype? Check out our evaluation process and give them a general comparison.
Dewalt DCD996B vs DCD996P2 vs DCD997B vs DCD985B Review
To give you the slightest idea on what we’re in for, we will assess each product in terms of utility, price range, pros, and cons.
1. Dewalt DCD996B 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill
We couldn’t think of a more competent drill than this Dewalt DCD996B to top our list today.
Judging from the first glance, this drill is smartly accentuated with the color black, yellow, and dotted with some gray. Also, it is equipped with an all-metal transmission along the body, allowing the users to customize the torques instantly and easily based on the surface properties.
That, along with a highly ergonomic handle, will enable you to create a forceful drive into any hard materials, such as concrete or cinder block.
Since it’s a robust beast with such dynamic power, make sure that you focus entirely on the drilling, or else it may wrench itself out of your hand.
Another plus of this drill is that you can also use it bare-tool, we mean, you don’t have to get upset over the cord length or unmatched sockets anymore. Isn’t it a relief?
Moreover, this model has a three-mode LED for better visibility, making it extremely facilitating for workers who work at the construction site at night.
For these reasons, this drill is highly recommended for professionals.
- High performance transmission for fast application speeds and improved run time
- High efficiency brushless motor delivers up to 57 percent more run time over brushed
- 0 38,250 BPM for fast drilling in masonry materials
- 3 Mode LED light with Spotlight mode
- Battery sold separately
- Offers a three-year warranty
- Can be used bare-tool
- Has three LED modes for night jobs
- Flexible side handle for better maneuverability
- Ergonomic handle
- Excellent performance with heavy-duty tasks
- Does not heat up
- Quite a lofty beast
- Very loud
2. Dewalt DCD996P2 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit
Though sharing many properties in common with the former drill, this buddy prides himself on the distinctively unsurpassed run time.
Packed with two lithium-ion batteries, together with a high-efficiency brushless motor, the drill will be seen working with you for hours on end. Say, “from the break of the day till the middle of the night” is an understatement.
We would recommend that you go for pairs of 5.0Ah Li-Ion batteries for storage. Others 1.5 Ah and 4Ah equivalents might be electrically incompatible or loosely secured to the housing. It’d also make your hand wobble.
Furthermore, like the last one, there is a three-mode LED light on this drill, including one spotlight mode, which would increase the illumination for night jobs or jobs in confined places.
Speaking of performance, this DCD966P2 is somewhat not as super-potent as the DCD996B counterpart. Its size is more prominent and bulkier due to the hammer option. But for a DIY beginner, this drill is not at all a bad option.
And last but not least, the drill can withstand harsh weather conditions – and when a lot of things in your house get broken. It’ll undoubtedly prove to be your helpful sidekick. You’ll see.
- High performance transmission for fast application speeds and improved run-time
- High efficiency brushless motor delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed
- 0-38,250 BPM for fast drilling in masonry materials
- 3-Mode LED light with Spotlight mode
- (2) DCB205 - 20V MAX* XR High Capacity Li-Ion Batteries (5.0Ah)
- 57% more improved for an extended period of time
- Decent driving power
- Highly facilitating for night jobs
- Outstanding durability
- Good customer service
- Rather weighty
- Slower response time in the trigger
3. Dewalt DCD997B 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill
In fact, this DCD997B has been a go-to drill for many construction workers in quite a while. And it’s understandable.
If you look closely enough, this hammer drill has been upgraded with some wireless electronic connection below the handle.
This innovative design makes it easier and quicker to assign tools to job sites. But that’s not the best part yet. There is an attached alert system named “Disable when out of range”, allowing you to track down any unauthorized use on the item instantly. Just too good to be sold at an affordable price, isn’t it?
Yet, it’s the robust performance that makes this drill so incredibly favored by contractors and homemakers alike. Combined with a 9Ah pair of batteries, the tool can effortlessly handle heavy-duty tasks as it provides a significant amount of torques, precise trigger speed, and control grip so flexibly adjusted.
However, make sure that you maintain a sufficient force on the tool while working overhead or one-handed since it rotates quite fiercely. For beginners, you should practice using the drill at the shoulder level first, it’ll be just fine.
- Last seen feature; helps reduce wasted time and money by providing the street address of where your...
- Easily and quickly assign tools to jobsites and users on the tool connect inventory manager...
- Set "Disable when out of range" alerts to help deter unauthorized use or theft
- Program 3 customized RPM settings for precise speed of application
- DEWALT Brushless motor delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- Features the innovative Bluetooth technology to discern thefts
- Can connect with a phone app for better settings
- Comparative affordability
- Works powerfully like a beast
- Rotates quite fiercely
- The electronic system could be more extensive
4. Dewalt DCD985B 20V MAX Hammer Drill
Having its outer appearance so distinctively different from the last three counterparts, this Dewalt DCD985B has a lot more to promise you.
If you try getting a grip on this drill for the first time, you should instantaneously feel the ergonomic handle snuggling nicely around your hand. Plus, the tool is comparatively more lightweight in design, enabling you to maneuver it easily even with one hand.
Also, the tool features a ½ inch metal ratcheting chuck with carbide inserts, making room for beginner errors and slippage, thus making it the knock-down secret for the drill’s extreme durability.
During nights that you find yourself working on construction sites, the bright built-in LED would literally outshine the place with the 20-second delay, allowing for better visibility. And from then on, nothing could ever go wrong.
- High efficiency motor delivers 450 unit watts out of max power for superior performance
- Uses DEWALT 20Volt Max lithium ion batteries which offer longer run time and enhanced durability
- Heavy duty 1/2 Inch metal ratcheting chuck with carbide inserts
- Kit includes drill and 360 degree side handle 3 speed all metal transmission
- Battery & Charger Sold Separately
- Lightweight design
- Has a bright LED light for better visibility at night
- Highly versatile for woodworkers, carpenters, residential builders, electricians and plumbers
- May wobble
Which One Is The Best?
For us, the Dewalt DCD996B, though not possessing the most up-to-date technology like the DCD997B, has otherwise proved itself to be the most reliable, powerful, and versatile hammer drill.
In fact, it has long been widely accredited as a helpful sidekick for years to come, and an answer to challenging applications.
Dewalt DCD996B vs DCD996P2 vs DCD997B vs DCD985B? Have you got your answer? Because we’ve got ours and are more than ready to continue our DIY journey. But for now, good luck with your own experience.