As you may know, Porter-Cable and Dewalt are the two renowned brands in manufacturing power tools as well as hand tools, including plate joiners.
In today’s article, we’ll discuss further on the distinction of Porter Cable 557 Vs Dewalt DW628K to see which one would be worthy of the money you spend.
Differences between Porter Cable 557 and Dewalt DW682K
Before digging into the details, let’s take a quick look at both products. Dewalt DW628K comes in the signature yellow and black color – the combination that is associated with the brand Dewalt since its establishment. The same goes for Porter-Cable but in black and red.
Porter-Cable 557 is somewhat heavier than Dewalt DW628K, being around 12lbs. It also looks heftier, making it suitable for heavy-duty tasks that require different cutting styles.
Dewalt DW628K, on the other hand, is more compact and lightweight; you can use this unit for smaller jobs around the house as it allows you to navigate hard-to-reach places at ease while other larger machines fail to do so.
In terms of stability, both products have different features to enhance their effectiveness. Dewalt DW628K offers a non-marring aluminum shoe with anti-skin pins for more control as well as stable operation over the product. As for Porter Cable 557, it comes with a straightforward block handle to assist you in giving more accurate cuttings.
While Dewalt DW628K only features a maximum tilting capacity of 90 degrees, Porter Cable 557 can be tilted up to 135 degrees with an adaptable stop at 90 degrees – way more impressive than that of Dewalt DW628K.
Quick Rundown Of Porter Cable 557
- The joiner tool has 7.0 Amp, 120 V, AC only, 10,000 rpm
- 1-inch O.D. dust port of the plate joiner accepts standard bag or can be connected to a vacuum
- PORTER-CABLE joiner fence tilts from 0 degree to 135 degree with positive adjustable stop at 90 degree
- Precise micro height-adjustment knob
- Lock-on trigger
- Gives butter-smooth cuts to tackle any hardwood you throw at it thanks to the high rotation rate
- Hassle-free when switching blades
- 7 different cutting styles depending on the thickness, size, and wood variety
- Powerful 7 Amp motor
- Wide fence tilt angle from 0 to 135 degrees
- Might need to purchase an additional plastic adapter when cutting planks narrower than 3 ¾”
- Huge dust bag seems oversized for the job at hand, resulting in the ineffective dust collecting
Quick Rundown Of Dewalt DW628K
- 6.5 amp, 10,000 rpm motor of the joiner tool provides power for working in the hardest woods
- Dual rack and pinion fence of the plate joiner ensure blade and fence are always parallel for accurate joints every time
- Integral one-piece fence of DEWALT joiner is adjustable and tilts 0-90 degree
- Flush cuts can be made at 0 degree without removing fence
- 45-degree locating notch in fence allows indexing off the outside surface of a mitered joint
- Lightweight and compact unit
- Decent build quality with great power to tackle small tasks around the house
- Can cut through a variety of woods at ease
- Integral one-piece fence offers tilting capacity of 90 degrees
- The heavy-duty aluminum shoe allows more control and stability
- Hard to make mitered cuts due to ease of slipping
- Ineffective dust collecting
It depends solidly on your needs, preference, and budget to choose the winner in the battle of Porter Cable 577 Vs Dewalt DW628K.
If you’re a woodcraft hobbyist who is looking for a plate joiner to help you tackle weekend projects, Dewalt DW628K is strong enough to assist you. In contrast, a professional or a construction woodworker should opt for the Porter-Cable 577 simply because it packs with more features to handle heavy-duty jobs.