Further down the page, you’ll find some explanations regarding the key similarities and differences between the iRobot Roomba i3+ and the iRobot Roomba i4+.
But before checking out explanations regarding their design, cleaning performance, battery, and feature, here’s a table that summarizes the main technical summary sheet for these 2 robot vacuums:
iRobot Roomba i3+ measures 13.34 x 13.26 x 3.63 inches and weighs 15 pounds. Meanwhile, the Roomba i4+ measures 13.34 x 13.26 x 3.63 inches and weighs 12 pounds.
Cleaning Performance Comparison
Suction Power & Noise
Both have a suction power of 1800 Pa and a noise level of 68 dba.
Robot’s ability to walk
Both have a cleaning area of 170 m2.
Thanks to the 20 mm (0.78 in) climbing ability, both of them are suitable for thicker carpets and can easily overpass a door threshold (if below 2 cm).
Both robots are equipped with a bunch of sensors that prevent bumping into things, falling, and keeping them at a distance of 10 mm from walls and furniture.
iRobot Roomba i3+ and Roomba i4+ both have dirt detection sensors. It is a system that recognizes high-traffic spots making a cleaner go over these zones a few times until it is clean
Both have a waste bin capacity of 400 ml.
When the dustbin inside the Roomba gets full, the robot vacuum returns to the charging dock, the base sucks up the debris from the container. When the Roomba is done emptying, it returns to continue cleaning. The base holds up to 30 robot’s bins, so you don’t have to empty it for about a month.
Under the lids of both dustbins, there is a HEPA filter that makes the robot safe for people with allergies and asthma. The filters of both Roomba are not removable for washing, you should change the filter every three months.
Ability to suck and sweep
Carpet boost: Roomba i4+ has a sensor that can recognize carpets. When the vacuum is on the carpet, its suction power is increased to the maximum level automatically cleaning deeper.
Side brush: Both have a side brush made of rubber.
Unique Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes don’t get tangled with pet hair. Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors.
Cleaning Brush: Both are equipped with a cleaning brush that has detachable tips and is easier to clean since hair mostly gets clogged around the edges. In addition, the newest brush has 250% more bristles providing a better pickup.
Ability to Mop the floor: Both devices can only sweep and vacuum
With 1800 mAh Lithium-Ion, Roomba i3+ can operate for about 75 minutes and takes 90 minutes to charge. Roomba i4+ uses a Lithium-Ion battery with a capacity of 2210mAh that can work for about 100 minutes and takes 120 minutes to fully charge.
If both vacuums don’t finish all the work on a single charge, it will automatically return to the charging dock. Resume intends that the robot will resume from where it left off after charging is complete. This feature is perfect for large households where the robot cannot clean the entire house on a single charge
Unlike robots that don’t have a map and move randomly until the battery runs out, Roomba navigates efficiently. It moves back and forth in straight lines methodically covering the cleaning area based on the map it generates.
Roomba i3+ uses a gyroscope + optic motion tracking sensor to map your home layout; the Roomba i4+ Max uses a uses and iAdapt 2.0 navigation technology
Neither robot vacuums can store maps in memory.
Both only have basic scheduling features. You can only schedule it to work at a specific time and day of the week.
Roomba i3+ and Roomba i4+ does not have a digital virtual wall creation feature but you can buy an additional virtual wall barrier to create a no-go zone
Roomba i3+ can control it manually like a car radio.
If you need the device to go to a specific spot, you can use the app remote control and manage its movements by sending it where you want to. Also, with the «Target Point» option you can tap on the map, and the robot will go to that place. Much easier than using the remote control.
You can also control the two robot vacuums by setting voice prompts through Amazon Alexa Support and Google Assistant Assistant.
When Roomba finishes cleaning, you can view the results in the cleaning history. Both cannot be tracked in real-time, you cannot see its location while the robot is vacuuming.
Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba i3+
- PERFORMANCE: The iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) Wi-Fi Connected Robot Vacuum pulls in stubborn dirt with a Premium 3-Stage Cleaning System and 10X the Power-Lifting Suction. Control how you clean with the iRobot Home app or your voice assistant
- AUTOMATIC DIRT DISPOSAL: Forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal that allows the i3+ to empty itself for up to 60 days.
- APP: The newly updated iRobot Home App allows you to upgrade your overall cleaning experience. Enjoy features that work around your life, including personalized scheduling suggestions and seasonal recommendations, all tailored to your unique needs
- VOICE ASSISTANCE: The Robot Vacuum learns your cleaning habits to offer up personalized schedules, while Google Assistant and Alexa allow you to start cleaning with just the sound of your voice. The i3 will even suggest an extra clean when your area’s pollen count is high or during pet shedding season
- TECHNOLOGY: Patented Dirt Detect Technology helps your robot find the dirtier areas in your home, like high-traffic spots, and cleans them more thoroughly
Manual Movement Control[/i2pros][i2cons]Weight is larger than Roomba i4+
Low battery capacity.
Short operating time.[/i2cons][/i2pc]
Quick Rundown Of iRobot Roomba i4+
- 20% LARGER BATTERY – Larger battery for extended runtime. Compared to other Roomba i series Robot Vacuums
- EMPTIES ITS VACUUM BIN, SO CLEANING IS OFF YOUR MIND - Cleans up after itself, emptying its Vacuum Bin into an enclosed bag that holds up to 60 days of debris, which means two whole months of not thinking about vacuuming.
- CLEANS THE ROOMS YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT - iRobot OS learns and personalizes your cleaning with Imprint Smart Mapping technology so you can direct it to clean any room you want, any time you want—either on a set schedule or in the moment.
- SWEEPS UP DUST, DIRT AND DEBRIS WITH EASE - Experience a comprehensive clean with the powerful 3-Stage Cleaning System that pulls in dirt, debris, and pet hair from wherever it hides.
- PRECISION CLEANING IN TIDY ROWS - Cleans intelligently in straight lines back and forth, to thoroughly clean your floors while navigating around furniture. When it needs to recharge, it will resume right where it left off ensuring a complete clean.
Long operating time.[/i2pros][i2cons]Long charging time[/i2cons][/i2pc]