DeWalt DCK290L2 vs DCK299P2 are both advertised as “the power drill and driver combos.” Is it true? And which one is better? Stay tuned and find out.
Difference Between DeWalt DCK290L2 Vs DCK299P2
The combo kit of DCK290L2 consists of a DCD 985 ½ inch hammer drill and a DCF885 ¼ inch impact driver. Meanwhile, DCK299P2 includes a DCF995 hammer drill and a DCF886 impact driver.
The critical difference between these products is the motor of these tools.
The Power Of The Hammer Drill Motor
The DCD 985 hammer drill owns a high-efficiency motor with a maximum performance of 535 UWO (unit-watts-out). It contains 3-speed all-metal transmission from low to medium and high. It’s 0 – 575, 0 – 1350, and 0-2000 RPM respectively.
The tool is built in 22 clutch settings for different drill functions. Hence, it can work well on many hard materials such as wood, brick, cement, metal, etc.
On the other hand, DCK299P2 possesses a brushless motor with a larger torque rating of 650 UWO. Hence, the latter performs better with the higher power.
Although they have the same 3-speed, DCK299P2 has 12 clutch settings only. In comparison with its competitor, which is built in 22 clutch settings, it’s a big deal.
In terms of motor power, DCK299P2 wins. But, in the convenience aspect, its competitor seems to get higher scores.
The Power Of The Impact Driver Motor
The DCF885 impact driver can deliver 2800rpm and up to 3200ipm, which is much more impressive than other products in the market. With 5.55 inches in front-to-back length and 2.8 lbs in weight, it is compact and convenient to work in small spaces.
Meanwhile, the DCF886 impact driver delivers the max torque at 0 – 3,250rpm and 0 – 3600ipm. It is designed with a compact size of 5.3 inches in front-to-back length and 3.4 lbs in weight for any workspace.
In this part, DCK299P2 gets a plus!
The dimension of DeWalt DCK290L2 is 8.31 x 10 x 15 inches leading to its lightweight (11.77 pounds). You can easily hold it in one hand. However, you should work with two hands for safety reasons. Also, the small size with a favorable weight makes it comfortable during the course of long jobs.
The DeWalt DCK299P2 has a figure of 9 x 6 x 15 inches and a weight of 14 pounds, which is 3.23 lbs heavier than its competitor.
As a result, for a long working time, the former is a better choice.
Features And Accessories
Another difference between the two combo kits lies in the batteries. The DCK290L2 tools are run by 3.0Ah Lithium-Ion batteries.
Due to a more powerful motor, the DCK299P2 requires batteries with a higher capacity, which are 20V MAX XR 5.0 Ah Li-Ion cells. Also, the higher amps help the tools get a longer runtime. The kit of DCK299P2 includes two batteries while its competitor has one only.
Both of these combo kits have LED lights with a 20-second delay after trigger release. They support you for better visibility and shadow removal. However, the lights of DCK290L2 lay in the driver’s collar, while the lights of DCK299P2 are settled at the foot of the tool instead.
Besides, they all come in a contractor box with a 360-degree rotatable side handle, a 30-minute fast charger, and a belt hook.
Quick Rundown Of DeWalt DCK290L2
- DCD985 DEWALT 20V MAX* hammerdrill with 3-speed, all-metal transmission and 1/2-inch all metal ratcheting chuck in the cordless drill combo kit delivers 535 units watts out of maximum performance, faster application speed, and superior bit retention
- DCF885 DEWALT 20V MAX* 1/4-inch impact driver in the cordless tools combo kit features 3 LED lights with 20-second delay to provide visibility without shadows
- DEWALT 20V MAX* Lithium ion batteries offer longer tool run time and enhanced durability of the drill/ impact driver combo kit
- Powered by an Energy Star qualified charger for a better environment
Compact size for small space
More clutch settings[/i2pros][i2cons]One battery attached[/i2cons][/i2pc]
Quick Rundown Of DeWalt DCK299L2
- BRUSHLESS 20V COMBO KIT: This DEWALT tool kit includes a DCF887 impact driver, DCD996 hammer drill, two 5.0 Ah battery packs and charger
- PART OF THE 20V MAX SYSTEM, COMPATIBLE WITH ALL DEWALT 20-Volt Max Batteries and Chargers
- HAMMER DRILL:DCD996 20V MAX 1/2-inch hammerdrill 3-speed, high performance (0-2,250 rpm), all-metal transmission optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time of the cordless drill combo kit
- IMPACT DRIVER: DCF887 20V MAX 1/4" impact driver provides 1,825 in-lbs of max torque at fast 0-3,250 RPM speed and 0-3,600 impacts per minute
- HAMMER DRILL: DCD996 20V MAX 1/2 in. hammerdrill has a compact size (8.4 in. front-to-back length) and lightweight (4.7 lb) design to fit tight areas
Long runtime batteries[/i2pros][i2cons]Heavier than its competitor
Less options for settings[/i2cons][/i2pc]
Overall, both dck290l2 vs dck299p2 are impressively powerful, but the DCK299P2 can work harder with higher performance. If you want to do your full-time job site wear and tear professionally and effectively, we highly recommend purchasing a set of this model.