DEWALT is a famous American manufacturer in power tools and hand tools for construction and woodworking industries.
When finding a reliable product for wood manufacturing, two famous products from Dewalt DW680K vs D26676, are highly recommended. Here is a comparison between the two items and a short brief on each.
Differences between Dewalt DW680K and D26676
While both items are a great option for hand planers, there are some differences in terms of price, utilities, usage, and efficiency.
The average cost to afford a DeWALT DW680K is nearly $170 and a D26676 is worth $140. Comparing the price, we can see that DeWALT D26676 is a more affordable option.
However, the more expensive one – DW680K is more preferable by users than the D26676. Let’s go into detail to see how DeWALT DW680K’s features make it a better product.
The DW680K has a powerful 7 Amp motor while the D26676 motor only runs at 5.5 Amp. In terms of power, we can see that DeWALT DW680K is a better choice.
The DeWALT D26676 can reach 17,000 rounds per minute with industry-standard large and resharpenable high-speed steel blades, which are applicable for products requiring straight edge or framing.
In contrast, the DW680K model only runs at 15,000 rounds per minute and just accepts the resharpenable high-speed steel blades.
Another point to consider is that both items can use the reversible carbide blades, but the DW680K can provide not only better accurate woodworking but also flat surface furnish and square rabbet joints.
It is a must to consider the size of each item because different workplace requires a specific model to ensure work efficiency.
The DW680K weighs 11.8 pounds with 15.8 x 11.4 x 9.8 inches, 8 pounds heavier than the D26676. So, if you don’t have a large working space to carry the planer around, the D26676 is a great choice then.
To add-in, the D26676 requires 1 lithium-ion battery to operate while the DW680K does not.
Quick Rundown of DEWALT DW680K
- Heavy-duty 7.0 amp motor of the electric hand planner provides a smooth, even finish in the hardest of woods
- 3/32-inch (2.5mm) maximum cut in one pass reduces the amount of passes on your material with this hand planer
- Accepts large resharpenable high-speed steel blades for straight edging or framing applications
- Calibrated Depth Adjustment Knob for accurate depth setting and eliminating the need to re-zero your depth
- Also accepts reversible carbide blades for more detailed, accurate woodworking
What makes the DW680K sold out on most shopping platforms? Let’s see its pros and cons to understand whether it is a perfect choice for you or not.
- Supports smooth cuts on the hardest kinds of woods
- No battery required
- Calibrated Depth Adjustment Knob provides accurate depth setting
- Reversible carbide blades for higher accuracy in cutting
- Equipped with 7 Amp motor
- Heavy to carry around
- Quite expensive
- Does not accept industry-standard large steel blades
- Not applicable for small working spaces
Quick Rundown of DEWALT D26676
- Powerful 5.5 amp motor of the electric hand planner provides a smooth, even finish in the hardest of woods
- The hand planer featuring 34,000 cuts per minute achieves a fast removal rate
- 1/16-inch (1.5mm) maximum depth of cut
- Includes industry-standard large, resharpenable high speed steel blades for straight edging or framing applications
- Also accepts reversible carbide blades for improved blade life and material finish
What makes the D26676 become a great option for a hand planer? Let’s consider its pros and cons before making a purchase.
- Lighter than DW680K, easy to carry around
- More appropriate for small workplaces
- Provides a smooth and deep cut to most types of wood.
- Accepts both industry-standard large and resharpenable high-speed steel blades for edging and framing.
- Slightly cheaper than DW680K
- Depth adjustment knob to 1/16 inch, not zero – depth as DW680K
- Lower efficiency and accuracy than DW680K
- Equipped with 5 Amp motor, resulting in low efficiency and quicker cuts
- Requires a battery to run
After a comparison between the two items, we hope you could choose a perfect companion that suits your budget, needs, and requirements.
In our opinion, we prefer the DeWALT DW680K model because it can provide many powerful cuts to all kinds of woods comparing to D26676. And, the most important point is that you will never need to worry about the margin of error in-depth setting.